Damaged Wires & Light Switches

  • Wires that are misshapen, torn, or frayed could cause electrical shocks or fires.
  • Replace appliances with damaged wires as soon as possible.
  • Always replace loose light switches as soon as possible. If they break, they will leave wires exposed, which could lead to electric shocks.
  • If a light switch is emitting heat, or making a buzzing, crackling, or popping noise, turn off the breaker for that circuit and contact a licensed electrician to investigate.

Overheating Circuits

  • Circuits that overheat can cause electrical fires.
  • Become aware of circuit breakers that frequently trip off, or fuses that frequently blow in your home. These are indications of an overloaded circuit.
  • Understand how much amperage a circuit can sustain, and never go above that limit. The amperage limit for the circuits in your home will be indicated on your central circuit breaker.
  • Do not use power bars to plug an overabundance of appliances into the same outlet. Power bars create different routes to the same outlet, they do not create a new power source.
  • Different power bars serve different purposes. When purchasing a power bar, make sure to buy one that is appropriate for your needs.   

Extension Cords

  • Never use an extension cord in place of a permanent outlet. If you need an additional outlet in your home, contact a licensed electrician.
  • Never connect extension cords together. Instead, purchase an extension cord of the length that you will need.
  • Ensure that you do not leave extension cords in areas where people walk frequently; they are tripping hazards and they could become damaged from people walking on them.


  • Dirty refrigerator coils can cause electrical fires. Make sure to vacuum them at least once every three months.
  • Washing machines or dryers that move or vibrate too much when in use could lead to loose wiring, which can cause electrical shocks.

Damage Resulting from Inclement Weather Conditions

  • Snow, ice, heavy rain, and high winds can bring trees and branches down onto power lines causing blackouts and electrically charged hazards; contact a licensed electrician to repair any electrical damage.
  • Electrical equipment and wiring that has been exposed to water through flooding may be dangerous if powered up without proper evaluation and reconditioning or replacement by a qualified person.

For more information, visit the Electrical Safety Authority website.

Image widget